Sunday, September 12, 2010

Talkeetna Roadhouse

We had some friends come up from Tennessee to visit us so we took them to Talkeetna for the day. It was one of our few glorious days this summer. The sky was blue and the temperature was perfect.  We decided to try out the RoadHouse for lunch upon recommendations from a few friends.
Seating is Family Style but since there was 7 of us on this trip we got an entire table to ourselves. The menu is small but full of old fashioned comfort foods like Chili and Macaroni and Cheese. Their featured item are traditional English pasties.  With 7 people were ordered 8 different items and shared (we are all foodies!). 
The kids got the baked Mac and Cheese which was probably the best baked mac and cheese I have ever tasted outside Grandma’s house!  I quote my extremely picky eater son, “I dont like this, I LOVE IT!”  
We had to try the pasties too, so we ordered 3 of them! The cheesy potato, beef, and the Salmon. All 3 were very good. Personally I liked the beef best. For $7 it was chock full of meat! More meat then I would have dreamed possible actually. And there was nothing but meat. It was tender and full of flavor, the pasty crust was lite and flakey. Yum!  The Salmon Pasty was not as good as I had hoped. I realize that pasties, by nature are supposed to be dry but when the menu advertised a dill cream sauce I mistakenly assumed it would be dilly and creamy. On the contrary, it was dry and not dilly. They added Broccoli to the wild Alaskan Smoked Salmon pasty. This addition was overkill as the strong flavors of the broccoli nearly out shown the amazing flavors people desire when eating Smoked Salmon. 
My husband ordered up the Homemade chili. They offer 2 kinds of chili here at the Roadhouse, a Vegetarian Black Bean and a Reindeer Meat Chili. You can also request a combo bowl. My carnivore husband chose the later.  I have particular preferences about my chili’s and this bowl was right on par with all the good things and none of the bad. Lots of meat, lots beans, no huge chunks of onions or tomatoes to contend with and all the right seasonings.  It was delightful and definitely something to dive into after a long day of snow-machining.
Our only complaint was the service was sluggish. We had to approach the front counter 2 times in order to get waitress to come take our order. And they were not very busy that day either. 
Two Big Thumbs Up for the Food at the Talkeetna Roadhouse! 
A Thumbs Down for Service. 

No comments: