Monday, June 14, 2010

Amelia's Restaurant

Amelia's Restaurant

On day 3 of my Aleutian Work / vacation,  my co-worker and I went to another local hot spot, Amelia's. Amelia's is a small, unsuspecting place between the airport and famous Grand Aleutian Hotel. From the outside you would never guess this green mobile home is an eclectic full service Mexican restaurant! Inside you find a very spacious main room with a smaller, more intimate side room for a more romantic evening out. The walls of Amelia's are covered, literally, with dozens of pictures of the local scenery along with a myriad of adorable Mexican wind chimes hanging from the center beam. I really should have taken a picture, it was that unique. 
The menu was unbelievable! Once again I was awestruck at the enormous selection of foods being offered in this little Island Oasis!  As much as I love Mexican foods though, my stomach was telling me to try the chili burger and Boy, am I glad I did! Upon seeing my plate arrive, my first comment was, “I can see that this town really caters to the fisherman! Look at the size of these portions!” Anyone eat at a true “Truck Stop” and you will know what I mean. 
Heaping with fresh out of the fryer fries, mounded with chili, cheese and onions, I could not even see a burger under all that. But it was there and my first bite was like a little piece of heaven.  I don't' know how I did it but some how that entire plate of food was devoured and thoroughly enjoyed! The onions were just right, not too strong. The chili was not too spicy and not at all watery. Homemade or not, I dont know but I do know that I have not tasted a canned chili like it before. My burger, once I found it under all those beans was juicy, thick and seasoned to perfection. Since the chili was not watery, even my bun managed to stand up to all that and provided a perfect sponge for soaking up all that scrumptious sauce.

No comments: